Home Sweet Home, Manchester
Post- Saturday morning training, I like to have a treat. Sundays is rest day (the one and only) therefore Saturdays is the day for treats and chilling with no immediate-dying-in-the-pool consequences. At this point in my life going crazy is ordering two milkshakes and eating some chips, i'll save drunken seal wrestling for later in life. Well seasoned chips, thick (but could be thicker) milkshake, chicken wrap and mac n' cheese. Hello hello get in my belly immediately. This, this is what i'm talking about.

So...for the specifics.
The Mac n' Cheese
This little devil of a pasta dish seems to be popping up on the mains and sides menus of tonnes of Manchester eateries. Although, given the kind of place I go for this is probably a heavily biased observation. Anywho, this was a rustic bowl of rich creamy indulgent lushness. The richest and creamiest version i've come across (so far). Chuck in an extra £2 and you've got yourself a dollop of protein in the form of BBQ pulled pork. Another frequent guest on the current menu scene - and I am NOT complaining. Pulled pork - with it's high fat and therefore high flavour content is a personal favorite. The BBQ sauce for me was a little too sweet, however this was the bf's choice and he thoroughly enjoyed it - I'm not 100% in love with BBQ sauces so I guess I'm on the fussy side. (see bottom right photo)
Special Moroccan Chicken Wrap
One word: lush. Abundant with tonnes of different flavors that worked really well together. The tzatziki (how do you spell that? oh well) and sultanas I particularly enjoyed. The chips I think could have done with a more even cooking and a bit more crispiness, but they were well seasoned and definitely passed the test. This was a special so not always on the menu - but as a light lunch, if you can get your hands on it - YES.
Milkshake
Oh my dayz, this was a good'n. For me you know a milkshake is good when you need to engage with a spoon to get it down ya. Alas, no spoon was required, however, with a little bit more thickness it would have been my favorite milkshake experience. (Atomic Burger in Bristol is winning for now, blog post to come!)
We went for the 'Chocoalate Mud Shake' which entailed brownie, chocolate fudge sauce and espresso. The addition of espresso complemented the chocolate so well. I thoroughly enjoyed the little chunk of brownie found snuggling up to the proper whipped cream on top of the chocolate dream going on below.
The Coffee
For me, a 'Flat White' is where it's at. I had high expectations as HSH's website claims 'kick-ass flat whites'. For me that statement was a definite personal calling to the place. I had to go. It upsets me when flat white isn't on the menu (let alone unheard of as i experienced the other day - disaster!). I'm getting distracted - the flat white at Home Sweet Home is VERY good, strong and smooth - I will be going back for that alone. A milkshake may or may not fall into my mouth while I'm there.
I'd like to point out that their cake display looked AMAZING. I can't comment on how they taste, yet I'd find it hard to believe something that beautiful, with that much icing (no seriously, the icing thickness was ridiculous, this should be transferred to their milkshakes!) could taste anything but gorgeous.
Cut the crap, gosh
- Would I recommend? YES - for a hearty sandwich lunch, a decadent milkshake, a really rich mac n' cheese.
- Would I go again? YES - need to try the other milkshake flavours!
- Did the Coffee pass? Oh yes it most certainly did.
- Price? Fair, not cheap, not over-priced.
- Interior? Delightful.
No comments:
Post a Comment