Monday, 17 June 2013

Nutrition Rant No.1


Let's Get Things Started...


I remember clearly sitting on my springy uncomfortable bed in 1st year, enjoying some kind of aubergine ratatouille concoction that I had come up with. I just thought to myself, this little bowl of joy is absolutely lush, why the hell would you want to pay far too much for a soggy subway? You can cook good food with little expense, and those of you that think a healthy diet entails sacrificing flavour, you are so wrong, on the contrary! Sometimes good home-made nosh can take more effort than a lazy McDonalds, yet for me the preparation and the science of gastronomy is all part of the fun! Besides, it’s so worth it for optimal health and longevity. Food holds the power to dictate our lives; it’s our source of energy – so make the right choices. Even though I can nudge you in the right direction, it’s ultimately your decision. Each seemingly insignificant choice you make can have manifold implications, don’t fall for clever superstore marketing- they want you to buy more and they do not care about your waistline or your arteries for that matter.  It’s all about money, if they can produce more for less they will; don’t let a clever and personal advertising campaign blind you from that fact. That turned a little serious didn’t it. I can get carried away with rather bold claims, apologies. But don’t be afraid – organic and natural food counter-cultural movements are cropping up everywhere. For the first time in quite some time you actually do have a choice - the consumer is now more frequently in a position where they know exactly where their food came from and if it has been messed about with. Gradually I’m gonna give you a whole lot of tips (and potentially recipes if asked for them) to get you started on the revamped healthy and energetic you. Leave me comments or email me if you want something specific – or just busy yourself with something for a while as impart my knowledge onto the page. With regards to recipes, I feel I should mention that I tend not to follow them. I love ogling over recipe books and looking at all the pretty pictures – don’t get my wrong, but when actually in the kitchen I like to wildly experiment and learn (trial by error) what goes well and what doesn't  You’d be entertained by how random my dinners can be! (And my lunches and breakfasts and snacks…) I tend to listen to my body, but also my brain (I try to avoid direct response to my condensed milk/chocolate cravings) – as voluptuous as the likes of Nigella can be – the majority of such recipes aren't exactly compatible with my lifestyle. Thank god. 




Pulled Pork with Cider, Steamed Broccoli, Spiced red cabbage, roasted parsnips

Fresh ingredients: purple sweet potatoe, lime, okra

My version of pizza with chorizo and goats cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment