Sunday, 16 June 2013

A week of Breakfasts

Rise and shine! People aspiring to be 'healthy' often struggle with breakfast - what to eat!? Walking through, lets say a train station - the options, atleast in Britain are so so not healthy. Croissants, milkshakes, white bread toasties, crappy sausages. Oh no, they've got it allllll wrong. I really struggle to find appropriate on-the-go snacks (and meals). However, I'm fortunate to have almost complete control of my diet, as a student living close to campus I can cook from home on a daily basis. I swim at 5.30am - before work out I tend to have just a banana and some milk, some peanut butter too sometimes. But post-training breakfast and on non-AM session days, I treat breakfast just like any other meal really - it's a hearty affair for me. In fact, its probably my favorite and arguably the most important feast of them all. It makes sense really, it's what you eat to fuel yourself throughout the day. This means I want protein, some slow release carbohydrates, some colour (vitamins) and definitely not fast release high sugar foods (aka train station offerings). I mean yes, banana is high sugar, but I  balance that out with milk and nuts (lower GI, I will explain this in future posts) and it's NATURAL.  I have a few rules that I rarely break. One of them is not eating refined high sugar food. My swim-coach always says, "can it walk? can it grow? then its probably alright. is it from a factory? then its probably not". A tad rudimentary - but you get the gist. I'll let the pictures do the talking here:


Chicken, courgette, broccoli, onion - for breakfast!? You tell me why  not. Exactly.





Lentil & Feta salad, 2 boiled eggs - look at that perfection!


Raw broccoli, scrambled eggs, baked beans. I accept this is pretty random.


A whole pile of fruit. Plus a healthy serving of organic semi-skimmed milk.


Banana, blueberries and Greek yogurt.


Banana, whole-oats, mixed nuts & raisens


Cheddar cheese & Spinach omlette (2 eggs usually)

No comments:

Post a Comment