It’s okay to have a treat.
I have already mentioned that the accumulation
of my life’s experiences has taught me that seeking balance lends to maintaining
a healthy lifestyle. When I say balance, what I mean to portray is an idea that
too much of anything, or indeed too little of somethings tends to leave voids in one’s
life that, if left empty, can lead to a breakdown in efficiency and well-being
(mentally, emotionally, physically). If you picture your values as the
constituents of a brick wall, remove one and your foundations become unstable.
During my toughest times of juggling work, study and training, I have reached my
limits (no really, I have) and as a result I came to a semi-crisis that
required reflection. What are my values
and how do I prioritise?
![]() |
| A roughly drawn version of my wall of values. |
Once your values are ranked you can plan
your life and amend your attitude towards various tasks ahead accordingly. If
too much time is spent on my studies, my swimming suffers and vice versa, if
too much time is spent with friends, my family life suffers (and so on). What
is needed is a balance among all your values that correspond with how you prioritize them. When you hit a point of crisis where you find yourself unhappy- you have
a simple choice: accept the way things are, accept they are tough but deal with
them OR do not accept the way things are and CHANGE something (that maybe how
you have structured your priorities) and be happy again! What is NOT an option
is to remain moping between the two: unhappy, not dealing with the hardships and yet
not changing anything. Do not expect different results if you keep doing the
same thing, logically this makes no sense, and emotionally it’s tiresome. For
an athlete, this values & priorities business can become difficult to organize, committing to sport adds a massive brick to an often already
over-crowded wall.
The reason I have explained all of this philosophy
of life style ramblings is that it co-ordinates (of course) with my take on
DIET. Now when I’m eating to be lean I am not ON a DIET, it is a way of being,
it simply is my lifestyle choice. With balance in mind, yes I do avoid high
sugar foods, however I don’t see much use in COMPLETLEY eliminating them from
my diet either. I love chocolate, that’s often my treat of choice. If I completely
denied myself of this indulgence once in a while, sooner or later I binge, go a
bit crazy, and then feel shit, guilty and most probably fat. To maintain my
balance I allow myself a small amount of chocolate, not everday (athlete
lifestyle innit) but I do allow it, and crucially it must be GUILT FREE.
Lighten up,you nutritionally obsessed people, jeez.
About to post some more lifestyle pages, SEE YA, BYE.

No comments:
Post a Comment