Wednesday, 30 October 2013

Ginger's Comfort Emporium

So, as I have said, treats HAVE to be worth it. I won't settle for anything that I don't think is delicious. I put far too much effort into eating super healthy and training all the frickin' time (not complaining though) to be eating pointless crap. On that note, this ice cream is the best. End of. I discovered Ginger's magical travelling ice-cream van (not for kiddies, for adults who appreciate this heavenly stuff) at Manchester Food Festival (in Alberts Square, mainly) a couple of years ago. Since then, I have made an effort to go to the local events that I know she is going to be at (slightly stalker-esque indeed). I once got on a train to Levenshulme, just to go and buy a tub of 'Chorlton Crack' for my boyfriends birthday tea. Dedication I know. Chorlton crack, by the way, is the most awesome ice-cream - it is perfect for me. Salted caramel and peanut butter. Could things get any better? You don't have to answer that question, it was rhetorical, I know the answer.

In the queue - excited anticipation! 

A tad cold - brain freeze
 I've tried Chorlton Crack many a time as I don't feel it will ever get better than that. Nonetheless I have ventured towards a few other flavours: all great. My bf had Absinthe, interesting but worked and actually complemented the Crack pretty well. I really enjoyed 'Pure Origins Chocolate' - just a beautiful and decadent ice-cream for the purists. I wouldn't recommend having this with the Chorlton Crack as the awesomeness of each cancel out each other rather than complement - they deserve to be eaten alone.

Me and a fellow ice-cream lover in-front of THE van. 

The Lemon and Orange Blossom sorbet is amazingly refreshing with such delicate flavours. I mean its a sorbet so I wouldn't get over excited - for me its all about maximizing the cream content!

Marmalade on Toast was a great flavour - original, unusual and wonderfully creamy. I even made this myself (yes, I have bought her book!). The Eccles Cake ice-cream is similarly great and she manages to really capture the traditional cake but as an ice-cream!

Plumb Crumble Ice-cream

The Plum Crumble ice-cream was delicious, the bits of crumble were often massive and very indulgent! Again, super creamy. There's a pattern here. I wanted to try the 'Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Hawaiin black salt and Strawberry' flavour, but unfortunately she had sold out! Another time! (There will definitely be another time).

I'd like to point out that I didn't try all of these fab flavours in one go, I've been eating Ginger's ice-cream on special occasions for a while now!

The book is vibrant and abundant with interesting recipes - there is even a camel's milk ice-cream!! Shocking. I bought ii in a local shop, but I'm pleased to see that its available in a-lot of places, I saw one in a shop in Bristol when I was last home - this makes me very happy. There are plenty of recipes that don't require an ice-cream churner which is a bonus if you're a novice like me. Additionally, the introductions to the recipes make a pleasant read.


Crazy!






GREAT NEWS:  

There's going to be a winter comfort emporium set up in Affleck's Palace, there will be some new winter flavours which I can't wait to try! These include white truffle & hazelnut; liquorice & orange; cranberry crumble; a Brewdog Beer collaboration and the "Best Dessert" (three years running) at the British Street Food Awards 2013 – extra virgin olive oil ice cream with Hawaiian black salt, strawberry sauce and black olive chocolate ‘flake’. I finally have an opportunity to try it!!


Ginger’s Comfort Emporium, 2nd floor Affleck’s Palace, Oldham Street.
10am – 6pm Monday -Sunday from November 4th

See you there.




I would like to add that I have noticed 'Whim Wham Cafe' have Ginger's ice-creams on their dessert menu. I'm yet to try this place, but will let you know if I go (and inevitably have a bit of C.Crack!)

http://www.thewhimwhamcafe.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment